Sunday, August 31, 2008

musing in telluride

Last weekend, Ladd and I went to Telluride for a long weekend get away before school started. I needed a break from work and this town. I knew that once school started, I wouldn't get a break until Thanksgiving (except for labor day which doesn't really count when you've only been back to school for one week) and I wouldn't be going anywhere except work, home, school, or the library until then. So, we took a much needed break.

We love Telluride. We've only been there twice, but we plan to go back while we are here in Colorado. That's one of the things I looked forward to when we decided to move out here. Telluride would be only 4 hours away, as opposed to 14 when we lived in Lawrence.

Long weekend get-aways are something Ladd and I like to do together. Its like a really long date. When we lived in Lawrence, we would take long weekends and go to St. Louis. We loved St. Louis. This is a nice change of pace though. The glorious mountains, wildlife, smell of the air, and lets face it, driving around the Gunnison National Forest is WAY better than driving on I-70 across Missouri.

Did you know that it is legal for passengers of vehicles to drink alcohol in Missouri? I'm pretty sure its because, well, they have to drive in Missouri. :) .....But I digress...

When Ladd and I get quality alone time such as this occasion, we tend to discuss our future and our goals and aspirations. This weekend was no exception. I realized something new about myself. I found that not only does it not bother me that I have no idea where we will be in 2 years, but that I feel excited about it.

I used to never be that way. Years ago, I was already craving a plan. I am someone who needs stability and moving around the country did not go into that equation, even though it sounded so romantic and adventurous, courageous and so very liberating.

I felt buying a home, having a steady job (whether you loved it or not) was the beginning of a stable plan. Practical. Safe. The way my life was suppose to be, I guess. Not dreamy or exciting. But I never grew up being encouraged to do whatever I wanted to do and go anywhere I wanted to go. I grew up with practicality being instilled as a way of life.

Then I began to change. Things began to change. I realized that if I didn't go and try to do what I really wanted to do with my life, I would grow to be one of the saddest women that existed. Full of regret. Hopeless. Angry. Resentful.

No only did I know having those intense feelings would not be compatible with life, but I would be a poor wife, mother, and friend.

I went back to school. I had a teacher that I will never forget. It was as if she was speaking to me personally the day she told the class to go for it. Make your dreams come true. You. Can. Do. This.

So, I began to do it. Two years later, I got accepted into the college I wanted to go to so I could get the degree and training that I craved for years. We sold our house, Ladd quit an excellent University job, and we left everything we knew and moved 10 hours away to another state.

I think that unleashed a part of our souls. A part of us that craved adventure and experiencing the world. A part of us that otherwise might have never been set free and just festered inside of us as we grew older. Who knows what emptiness we might have grown to feel had we not made this leap of faith. This scary and exciting leap. I am glad I will never know the end of that version of our life story.

So here we are. Fourteen months after that giant leap. I have less than 2 years until I graduate with my veterinary technology degree and (hopefully) associates of arts degree. Yes, two degrees. Who would have thought? If you asked me 5 years ago, I probably would have said "No, way. There is just no way.".

But here we are.

Way!

There are a few things that we are pretty sure of happening after school, though:

1.) Backpacking through Europe. (Now that we FINALLY saved enough money, we don't have time right now. Go figure.)

2.) Offspring. No, not the crappy band from the nineties, actual living offspring.

3.) And, more likely than not - but I know not to commit to this yet - we won't be in Glenwood Springs. Its beautiful here, but we've both learned that though we grew up as farm kids, we are definitely more city kids than we thought!

So, if you were ever considering checking out Aspen/Vail/Glenwood Springs, etc., and you want a free couch to sleep on, time is ticking!

If you want to know one of the destinations we are considering as a home after school, at least for awhile, is Vancouver, Canada. Surprised?

We figure, no kids, we're young, so why not?? Even if its for 6 months, at least its something we tried. If I get pregnant during that time, it will be fine. Kids are portable. :)

What do you think of that, eh? :)

After all that intense thought, I will leave you with the most beautiful sunset. This picture does not do justice to the energy of it. People were stopped all over town. Standing in the middle of the street in awe. I feel so privileged I got to see and capture this.

TELLURIDE SUNSET 8/23/2008.




3 comments:

Ladd said...

The sunset pictures were shot as we were finishing up a bottle of wine at a restaurant's outdoor patio. The waiter told us that he's live in Telluride for two years and he's never seen a sunset in Telluride like that. How lucky were we?

Rae said...

Oh my gosh, Bri (and Ladd)... I just want to say how much I love the crap out of you guys. Your adventure. Your love. Your friendship. Your commitment. Your playfulness. You and You. I have so many comments on all of your recent blogs, but for the moment, I just have to say how much I love you both, and how I am so glad to say we are family and FRIENDS.
I love you guys.
Okay. Now I really want to call you.
Stick by the phone...

Rae said...

And by the way... WOW to the sunset. I'm sure you're right, that the pictures don't do it justice (they never do) but those pictures are AWESOME!!! LOVE IT!