Tuesday, February 5, 2008

feeling blah

Oh, I have pictures to share. I have no enthusiasm to upload and show them to you.
I am feeling blah.
I get waves of severe fatigue off and on throughout the year, without any clue as to what triggers it. I'm generally a very fatigued person. In middle school and high school, I would yawn repeatedly during calisthetics and running during track and volleyball practice, even though I was in great shape.
So, its never been exercise related, I never thought food related, Doctors can't pinpoint any biological reason, and so I just have to deal.
I imagine my waves of fatigue could be irritated by SAD and stress - or even regular depression, which I have to battle with randomly throughout the year.
But I'm starting to think it can very well be related to food. In the allergy sense. I've been doing some reading and learning alot more about food and its impact on you on a cellular and physiological level, since working at a health food store. I am thinking I very well may be allergic to gluten. From what I have read, it could explain a lot of health problems I've had throughout my life, including now. Including my problems as an infant.
I am ordering a book from amazon and will hopefully learn more. I wish I could afford an allergy test, still. It would be nice to know EVERYTHING I am allergic to - if anything at all.
Until then, I will be learning about gluten and its impact on my body. Elliminating wheat - whole wheat bread (duh), triscuits, saltines - all staples in my "eat on the run" lifestyle. Did you know gluten is even in soy sauce? This is going to be a challenge that I might not be up to.

2 comments:

Rae said...

A coworker of mine has a son with Celiac Sprue -- essentially he's allergie to wheat gluten. He said he was often sick as a baby and it took them a long time to figure out what was wrong. He now eats no bread (or they use rice flower to make bread), orders burgers without the bun, etc. I'll talk to him more about the symptoms and things... yes, you're right.... this will be challenging if in fact it is your diagnosis. I'm thinking of you, as you deal with the fatigue, depression, or just overall "blah-ness." I think we're dealing with SAD here too... we've had way more snow than we're used to this year.. and we've all got spring fever. Love you lots.

PhunkyBS said...

Thanks for your thoughts, sis. You all have been in my thoughts, too. Some winters can be so rough on our moods.