Friday, October 3, 2008

week 6 down, 8 more to go

It is hard to believe, but we just finished week 6 of school. This semester is flying by.

I have had a handful of tests so far and I have done very well. It continues to amaze me what I am capable of. This isn't how it used to be for me. I always struggled in school. My attention span, difficulty reading, caring, etc. I still have to work very hard for my grades. I still take FOREVER to read a page. But I am absorbing information so much better now. Maybe its because I LOVE what I am studying. I know my goals. I see my future. I see a purpose in the time I am investing in all this school work.

I recently was on chore duty for a week. A friend of mine mentioned how another girl and I call it "chores" and not "animal care". I think its the farm-raised part of me. Feeding the cows. The horses and chickens. Those are chores, where I come from. ;) I have a few pictures, but not as many as I would have liked to take, to share with you. Not in this post - but I hope to get them up soon.

It was nice doing chores. Taking care of the goats, sheep, horses, llamas, ducks, chickens, ferret, mice, rats, etc. Its a long list! It is nice to have these animals around, because I know there is no way I can have all these pets right now. I can get my "fix" at school.

It is also reminding me how much work it is to run a farm. Some days, I toy around with the idea of having a small ranch in the future. A handful of horses and maybe some goats and chickens. Then reality sets in. Working on the farm here at school has brought my dreamy self back down to earth and woke me up to remember; FARM = VERY LITTLE FREEDOM. You have to be home to do your chores twice a day. If you want to go away for a vacation, you have to be able to find somebody you trust and who is available to take over for you while you are gone. It almost stresses me out just thinking about it.

But.... I know not to make predictions. Never say never.

We also went "leafing" last weekend. I took TONS of pictures. I can't wait to go through them and I will definitely share those with you as well. It was a MAGNIFICENT time. Unbelievable. Breathtaking. We drove all the way to the summit of Independence Pass, to see all the colors along the way. We started in Glenwood where the temp was about 75 or so. Within an hour south, we were at the summit and it was barely snowing! So awesome.

Stay tuned. Pictures and more posts and stories to come.... now that I FINALLY have a little free time! :)

No comments: