Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"she was captain of her basketball team"

A few weeks ago, I went to the bars with some friends after work. I ran into one of my classmates. She had her ex-boyfriend there with her and told me, after introducing him to me, that back in middle school, Sarah Palin was his girlfriend.

Oh, can you imagine my delight at this opportunity? To probe him for questions and tease him relentlessly.

I wasn't too bad, actually.

But I did have a question for him. I asked him, party affiliates aside, do you honestly believe that if McCain and Palin were elected, and Palin should have to step up to be President, did he believe that Palin would honestly be a good president? (though, I may have not put it that way, but you get the jist)

His response, and I shit you not:

Yes, because she was captain of her basketball team.

So that makes her a good leader, I ask?

Yes.

Seriously. You can't make this stuff up, people!


My friend Jen and the infamous ex-boyfriend to Sarah Palin

3 comments:

Rae said...

Okay. I had many mean things to say. (Not to you, to Sarah's ex.) Brad made me think better of saying them.

Sigh. That's it.

Basketball captain = President?0

That's why I'm still scared to death of the results on Tuesday night. I had a conversation today with an intelligent mother of one of Owen's classmates today -- and she told me she was voting for McCain because he was in the military with her grandpa, his tax plan makes more sense, and she just doesn't trust Barack Obama for various reasons, and then proceeded to say he used to be a Muslim -- implying that was one of the reasons for her distrust.

Seriously? This was a well-spoken woman who seemed to have rational ideas. But the words that kept coming out of her mouth just seemed to make no sense. Really? You, the lower-middle class working mom, who says she can't afford healthcare for her kids, believes that McCain's tax plan and healtcare plan is better for you? Really?

Wow.

SchwesterGaga said...

This world never ceases to amaze me. I read the other comment, and I've had similar experiences. One of my best friends told me that I could not be both a democrat and Christian. !?!? Where do these people come from?

PhunkyBS said...

Personally, I feel like the democratic party is the more "Christian" of the two, ironically.

Taking care of each other is important to them.
civil rights.
Education.
Helping the sick find health care.

These are compassionate values. There is not enough compassion in our world, right now.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Erica. :)